Worthington is a section of land roughly shaped like the continent of Africa and comprises of 658 acres of land and is almost completely bounded by brooks,the northern and north-eastern boundries consist of a brook then known as The Perburn,but now known as Buckow Beck.This brook joins the river Douglas which provides the south-eastern boundry.
Bradley Brook flows along the south-western boundry and joins the river Douglas at the southern tip of the area(Standish is on the south-western boundry of Worthington).
In medieval times Worthington was entirely rural with only a small group of dwellings.This is still true today,there was a textile works at the most southernly tip until its closure in 1998,before that it was a dye works until it was closed in 1907 and before that it was a paper mill which was started in the late 1700s till it ceased operating in 1883,originally the site was known as Worthington Mill the earliest known reference to it is in 1348 when it was mentioned in one of the Standish deeds.Then it was owned by the Worthingtons of Worthington and continued to be so until their estae was sold at the end of the seventeenth century by Edward Worthington to Richard Clayton.
The orginial mill is covered over by the works,behind the old works and up to Worthington Hall there are three reservoirs which were built between 1855 and 1872 by the Wigan Corporation Water Company,the river Douglas was culverted beneath the reservoirs and harnessed to supply the paper mill and dye works with the power they needed.
The area today is very popular for recreation and is called Worthington Lakes.
There was Worthingtons living at Worthington in 1147 and as been ever since in the local area.